"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Saturday, November 21, 2015

One finished, two nearly finished.

Thanks for the compliments on my Scotty dog quilt!  For anybody who wants to pin something from my blog to their Pinterest account, please go ahead - I don't mind at all!
I've been busy this week working on some projects to be done before Christmas.  The first one is for a swap on a forum, and my partner said she would love a table runner to put on her coffee table.  She said they would be putting a Nativity scene set on top of it, so I have left the centre panel plain (no embellishment) as it won't be seen under the ornaments.  But she can still embroider or otherwise tart it up later if she wants to.
I just have to put the binding on now, which is a creamy colour similar to the centre panel.
 The second item is a very simple placemat.  I took the photo of those Gouldian Finches and printed it on fabric to use in the quilt that I made for the Avicultural Society raffle, but Ken and I decided it wasn't good enough, so I threw it aside at the time.  When I found it under some other stuff last week I thought I may as well just make a mat out of it, and donate it to the Avic. Society Xmas hamper.  I was finishing the binding today at the Quilt Shop sit and sew morning, and the ladies all said they liked the backing fabric best!


The third item I am doing is one of those spur of the moment things.  I found a photo on Pinterest some time ago, of a quilt with a cat appliqued on it, and the fabric was ripped in places to make it looked as the the cat had clawed it.  It was called Cat Clawed Quilt, and posted on Pinterest several years ago.  I tried in vain to locate the original person who posted it, so I could ask if she had used a pattern, but I couldn't track her down, or find a pattern.  But somebody else had posted a template on Pinterest of a similar cat and claw marks on fabric, so I printed a copy of that.
Last night I pulled out some pink and white fabrics that I've had for ages and never used, as they aren't cotton - just materials I've been given, or picked up somewhere...I wanted to use something that I could rip into, lol!  Cut them into strips, sewed them together quickly, traced the cat template on to fusible webbing, and ironed it on to black cotton.  Cut that out, ironed it onto the pink and white back, and used a black fabric marking pen to draw the claws, whiskers and claw marks.
Today I started to stitch over the pen in black embroidery cotton, and have decided not to tear rips in the fabric for realism!  The Quilt Shop had a roll of cute fabric, white with black paw marks, so I bought some of that and will use it for the backing.  Ken said "What are you going to do with that?" and I said I didn't know, just leave it around for a while until I get sick of seeing it!

2 comments:

Jane said...

That cat is so much fun

Krystal said...

The cat one is very cute. May have to save that idea for future reference. Love it.