"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Mug rug start to 2015!

After all those Christmas projects last year, I was ready for a break in January!  But I had promised to make some mug rugs from my vast stash of chicken patchwork fabric for a group of cyberspace friends who had suggested names for our Chook House.  So I got going on those, and finished them this week.  Next project will be the cloth book for the autistic grandson of a friend.  I've got all the fabrics out and have a bit of an idea how to proceed, as I don't have a pattern, but it's a pretty basic job really, just sewing the picture fabrics together to make a book!

These are the mug rugs, with numbers so the recipients can choose which one they like best.

My friend Val presented me with some pages taken from a BHG magazine, with instructions on how to make little owls. She wanted me to make one first, then show her how to make it.   The instructions were hard to follow, but there was a link provided to a YouTube tutorial, and once I found that, I was in business.  I put this little guy on a long twig as I plan to make up a tribe of owls to keep him company!


6 comments:

selina said...

love the mug rugs, would be longer lasting than the regular coasters
though i'm a cat fan & am curious where do you get your animal fabric from? when i go to spotlight, am always looking for cat prints but can never find any i like
love your sewings
have a great weekend!

Sharon said...

Good on you for making an impressive start for 2015. Love your little owl...I can just see a parliament of owls all wisely looking down...
* We have a new address... Be in contact after the great move. I will still be contactable on old phone number until about 10th Feb - after that best try our mobiles... x x

Linda Steele said...

Love the owl and he'll be so happy to have some friends.

Jane said...

What a fun collection of mug rugs and the owl looks fabulous. I look forward to seeing his friends joining him on his twig

Melody said...

Beautiful mug rugs and your little owl is adorable.

Nanna Chel said...

Gina, thank you for my lovely mug rug. It arrived yesterday. I emailed you this morning. Love the chooks!