"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Back to my sewing!

There is too much waiting to be done for me to waste any more time reading or sketching! So yesterday and today, I got busy.
A few years ago, I was given a freebie kit by a stall holder at one of the craft shows, when I bought something else at her stand. It was very simple - the outline of a rooster with numbered sections, and a selection of scrap fabrics. All that needed to be done was transfer the sections on to fusible webbing along with the relevant numbers, iron them on to the bits of fabric, and place the bits on to background material. So when I rediscovered the kit the other day, it was the perfect excuse to restart my sewing mojo! I am still doing some decorative stitching, and have a way to go, but I'm rather pleased with it!


The Embroiderer's Guild of Vic. have invited members to participate in a quilt to commemorate the ANZAC Centenary next year. The participants are supplied with green and red fabric, and are required to make a block, then stitch the name and serial number of any serviceman/woman who served in World War 1.
After asking everyone in our respective families, we found that neither of us had ancestors who served in that war. But one of our friends told us about his Great Uncle, who enlisted when he was 15, and was shot in the leg in France less than a year later. He died in hospital when he was 26. I asked Mark for his permission to use his Uncle's name and he was happy for me to do so.

My second apron for the Ballarat Apron Festival is nearly done. All I had to do was embellish the gingham apron that I found at our opshop! so it wasn't too difficult to attach some chook patchwork fabric. I'll add some ric rac and buttons to dress it up a bit more.

6 comments:

Christine M said...

What a lovely idea for commemorating the ANZACs. Your apron looks lovely Gina.

Annie said...

Love your chicken. I really have to try that technique some day.

You are always engaged in so many interesting projects. From your charity work to your fun re-purposing of everything. Whenever I'm in our neighborhood Op Shop, I think of you snapping up all of the abandoned goodies and putting them to good use!

Melody said...

Great sewing Gina. I do hope we get to catch up soon xx

Gina E. said...

LOL Annie! Some day I'm going to make a quilt using all the abandoned stitcheries I've found in opshops. I've actually got them all cleaned and ready to applique on the front of said quilt, but haven't got that far!

Jane said...

That's the perfect project for you! Have fun with the chicken

Linda Steele said...

Glad to hear that you have your mojo back. Happy sewing.
Linda