"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My baby quilts arrive in New Guinea.

Back in March, I wrote a post about Yaso (the wife of one of Ken's cousins) who works with people in third world countries.  To save me repeating it all here, you can read about here by clicking on this link.
Today I received an email from her with photos showing the people in Papua New Guinea who were given the two quilts I gave Yaso for their babies.  Here is what she said, and her photos with the mothers and their babies are below.  What do they say - a picture is worth a thousand words?  Hopefully these pictures will spur some of my quilting readers to make up a small quilt or two from their scrap stash...

We asked in the first village  Akwanje for the most recent child born. The mother was still feeding the child as I gave her the quilt. She cried for a long time with happiness. 
Then we went to the next village Yakepa.  These two villages are so very remote and only a handful of outsiders have been there. Took me and my team more than 36 hours to get there (by truck). It was such a beautiful ceremony and the little ones were crying and then when I wrapped the  quilt around each, they started laughing and holding out their hand to me. The people loved the loving gift from someone who has known about them. They know your name - and send their gratitude. I will get the names of the children and the parents for you very soon. In the midst of so many things to respond to, I forgot to write them down.  One of the child (Yakepa)  has Albinism. More quilts would be glorious.






9 comments:

Annie said...

How sweet is that! It's rare that you get to see the recipients for that type of project.

Melody said...

You are such a good person. The photos are brilliant.

Christine M said...

Lovely photos Gina. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Linens and Royals said...

What a wonderful and generous thing for you to do Gina. Your quilts must give so much pleasure to the recipient. Sylvia

Jane said...

How lovely that you get to see where the quilts went, makes it so much more special

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Hi Gina....I read about the babies in PNG on Melody's blog....how many babies are we talking about? I live in the USA but I could send some baby quilts. What size are best and where should I send them?

Sue Niven said...

Hi Gina, I have read this post via Melodys blog and I would love to help.

Maria said...

Would love to make some quilts but where do I send them and what size is best..

Joanne said...

That's lovely, Gina. I had missed your earlier post- how disgusting that mining companies and governments can do that to people. They have a lot to answer for.