"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Rare vintage table cloth.

First off, thank you to everyone who has left such lovely comments on my blog about my Lilydale Show wins, and the mug rug - your words are greatly appreciated as always!

My new friend N. allowed me to take photos of the cloth she brought over to show me this week. Some friends of hers also have this cloth, but unworked, and they brought theirs in to show me at my exhibition at Bundoora. N. said at the time she also had one, but hadn't looked at it for ages, and thought hers was also unworked. But when she unearthed it from a bag of cloths, she found it was completely finished. It was produced by Womens Weekly magazine at the time when decimal currency was introduced into Australia (1966). I have never seen this design before - on eBay or any other source online or otherwise, so I don't think there will be many around. I would almost cut off my arm to get one of these cloths for my collection! So if anyone reading this knows where I can find one, please let me know!








I omitted to photograph one corner of the cloth, with the one cent piece. What makes this cloth even more historically interesting is that the one and two cent coins are no longer in circulation. And the 50c coin has changed it's face many many times since 1966.

7 comments:

Jane said...

What a wonderful piece of history

Christine M said...

What an amazing tablecloth. It was so lovely of your friend to let you share it with us too!

Sharon said...

What an amazing cloth Gina... I know you are the Queen of vintage linen but I wouldn't mind one myself - worked or otherwise...

Take care x

Lyndel said...

wow that must be a rare cloth, I've never seen one either, and I used to have a Coin & Stamp Shop so I would have thought over the years I'd have at least seen one at a Coin show!! amazing.

Linens and Royals said...

Love this cloth, never seen or heard of one before. I will add it to my list of items I must search for. I want one....well of course I do, I want everything I see. Sylvia

Pear tree cottage! said...

It is lovely Gina, I will watch out for one for you......now dear friend on thursday a lovely card and a very special hanky was found in my letter box! :) thank you so! so! much it is stunning and now lives in my handbag.

Rob and I are spending a couple of days a week at warrnambool now because we have a big job down there and have several carpenters down there working. I will call you so I can give you a big hug over the phone for my card and hanky real soon. love Lee-Ann

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

This is wonderful and so interesting!