"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My patchwork gifts are appreciated!

Thank you to those who commmented on the memory table runner in my previous post. My SIL absolutely loved it. When she unwrapped it, her face was at first mildly interested as she unfolded the fabric, but when she opened it up and looked at the photos, her mouth dropped and she said "Oooooh!" Looked over at me, then came around the table and hugged me, saying "It's beautiful, I love it! I will hang it up", and when I said it was just a mat or runner, she said "I'm not going to put anything on top of that!"
Remember the My Pantry project I made for Ken's niece's daughters? The one I was going to keep? Well, I took it over to show them on Xmas Day, just to see their reaction. They LOVED it! Started playing with it straight away, ignoring their other gifts, re-arranging the items on the shelves. I said "Mummy said not to give you this yet because you won't look after it" and two little faces looked up at me and said in unison "Yes we will!" I showed it to their Mum and she thought it was really cute. I reminded her of what she said when I told her I was making it, and she said "Oh no, I won't let them wreck it. We'll hang it on the wall and they can play with it from there". So it is going to be where it was meant for in the first place, and I'm happy about that. We haven't got any more room on our walls here to hang it, so I'd rather it be somewhere that it can be seen and played with!
Addition to original post: I forgot to mention above that I also gave the kiddies the rug mugs/placemats that I made for them months ago. They liked those too, and when I explained the mats are to go on the table for their bowls and plates, Olivia (the older girl) said "No, I want it on the wall above my bed". She must have been thinking about it and the Pantry hanging, because later on she came up to me and said "Auntie Gina, did you make all those things?" When I said yes, she said "You are a good sewer" {soh-er, not sue-wer as in sewerage!}. If we lived closer to them, I would start teaching her some stitching, but they are an hour's drive from our place, so that is not going to happen any time soon.

5 comments:

Annie said...

It is just so great when you get that feedback for your hand-made gifts. Doesn't always happen, but you obviously struck the right chord!

Doreen G said...

I think that children can always see when someone has made a special effort for them.
How did you fare in the big hail storms--I hope all is well/

Jane said...

Isn't it funny how people react, and lovely to know they'll be appreciated. I gave a friend a table runner and mats I'd made, and they won't use them for that, said it was too nice. They have the table runner across the back of the settee so they can see it everyday.

Aussie Stitcher said...

How gorgeous that your gifts were so well received. My son, when we lived with my Mum and Dad, used to say to Mum that she was a "good cooker".
I hope that your Christmas was Merry Gina, and that 2010 is all that your would like it to be and more.

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

It is always so nice when folks let you know that they like something you put your heart and work into. Wishing you a wonderful New Year ahead! blessings,Kathleen