"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, October 10, 2011

Owls wall hanging just about finished.

I was determined to finish this today, and it is all done apart from the final hand quilting of the border, and the moon and stars. I am going to place a gold bead in the centre of each star as well as stitch around them, as I saw something similar at the Quilt show on the weekend, and it looked lovely. I'm not 100% happy with the trapunto work; the padding itself looks good, but I've used a metallic thread to quilt the owls, and it looks too hard. You can't really tell from this photo, but close up...I'll see how I go for time, I might pull it out and redo it in gold stranded cotton, which I will be using on the moon and stars.

9 comments:

Annie said...

This looks so good! The metallic stitching looks fine to me. What a great idea. I'll have to remember that way of doing strips of blocks as a border. It's very effective.

Janny de Roo said...

What a beautiful quilt...! The owls are fine, do'nt pull out.....! The fabric might get in a bad way, if you know what I mean (its difficult to explane for me)I love it in this way....!

cheers, Janny
http://janny-stoftotnadenken.blogspot.com/

Jane said...

I love it, well done

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Oh this just gets more and more lovely each time! blessings,Kathleen

Sharon said...

It looks great G.. Who would ever thought - you have turned into quite the patchworker... With each piece you make you can see your confidence growing and your skill base expanding... Good on you...

Catherine said...

Hi Gina,

Beautiful! The metallic thread is a nice touch. I wouldn`t change a thing.

Cathy said...

Hi Gina! That owl quilt is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen! It is just fine as it is! You are so productive. Your $10 quilt from the op shop was quite a find, too! You are obviously gifted with good karma! Hugs, Cathy

Warm Hugs Design said...

I love your quilting! Beautiful. We have so much in common - love of embroidery, quilting, and cats! I have a new blog friend and am so happy...

Warm hugs,
Pam

Aussie Stitcher said...

It looks great Gina. Love the fabrics that you chose for the borders, they compliment the owls beautifully.