"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Sunday, October 02, 2011

Grand Final Day.

I had a most productive day - my Grand Final was the completion of my second 'charity quilt' top for Oz Comfort Quilts. I added the border to finish it off, and it is ready to send to Jan to make up into a quilt. The colours of the border fabric don't look much in this photo; they actually match the brown blocks rather well. With the two four patch squares and patterned fabric left over, I made a little block for myself as a memento of this quilt! While I was looking in my books for instructions for Trapunto, I came across instructions for 'reverse applique', in my old book Reader's Digest Book of Needlecraft. I haven't looked at this book for years, but I can't bring myself to part with it, as it does give very detailed instructions for many kinds of needlework. I did find a kind of Trapunto, but not quite what I want, and while I was flipping through the pages I came across a chapter on Reverse Applique. I'd seen this on a few blogs, and wondered briefly what it was all about. Now I know! I did a quick trial run, using three fabrics. They are stacked on top of each other, tacked together, and pieces cut from each top layer to show the layers beneath. In my case I used a piece of patchwork fabric with sun and stars as the bottom piece. On top of that is a piece of fawn colour, then the green floral. A square piece was cut away from the green, then a circle cut from the fawn, to show the sun. At the last moment I cut a bit more to show one star! Before the pieces are cut, the edge is machine stitched to hold the fabric while you cut. A very interesting exercise!

No comments: