"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Today's stitching.

I didn't leave the house today except for a quick trip to the shops to pick up my mail and buy some fruit and vegies. Then it was back to work...or should I say 'play'. I completed the ninth block in Leila's Skill Builder series - this one is called Double Star. As I said before, I'm not really keen on these flying geese patterns, as I have trouble getting all the points where they should be, and today was no different. But it's my third attempt, and I don't feel so uneasy about starting them now, even if they don't end up perfect! Leila showed two examples of the layout and I tried them both before deciding on the second one, and stitching it up.
My other task today was to get all my 2-1/2 inch fabric squares out, sort them into darks and lights, and then sew them into four patch blocks. Jane over at Loopy Lou's Adventures is always finding neat stuff to do on the internet, and I find myself following her down the track of many of her projects! This one is called "Mystery Monday" and is on Chris & Barbara Quilts blog I have seen Mystery Quilts on many blogs, but until now have never wanted to get involved, as I didn't want any more quilting projects! But this one is fun, and a great way to use up scraps in one's stash. I've just had a look at this week's instructions, and we have to cut all those blocks in half diagonally, then resew them together, combining light and dark triangles. What fun!

4 comments:

Jane said...

I did mine with 41/2" squares of other fabric. Gives me twice as many blocks now and used up some more fabric, lol. Took forever to trim up the squares to 4" afterward.
Well done on your double star, it's come out great

Gina E. said...

Thanks Jane, but I still think yours looks better with the Tigers in the centre!

Joy V said...

I like the second version also. Using scraps, especially in a mystery quilt is heaps of fun.

Maggi said...

Oh do be careful, the Mystery Mondays can become quite addictive.