"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, May 02, 2011

Call for help!

One of the projects on my 'to do one day'list is this cute wall hanging, for my husband's niece' daughters who are 8 and 5 years old. I found a couple of fabrics at the quilt show last week, but only in fat quarters, and I would have preferred charm squares or smaller pieces, because it would be quite expensive to buy a dozen fat quarters and only use a bit of each for this project. One stall at the show did have a stack of charm squares with fruit and vegies fabric, but it was nearly $100, and there was too much there for my requirements. I've searched the internet fruitlessly (excuse the pun), and I hope to go to Spotlight and Lincraft over the next few weeks to see if they have anything. Do any of my readers know where I could find fabrics printed with foods such as fruit and vegies?

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Do colours matter Gina? I've got a couple of things in my stash that you can have. I've got a corn print- looks like the one in the bottom row of that photograph. And I've another print with apples and pears in green/gold/brownish red. The apples and pears one has a kind of gingham-y background. I'd be more than happy to send you a piece of each to get you started. Let me know what size you want and where to send it. :)
ebay has this listing from the US:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-FRUIT-STAND-Quilt-Squares-CHARMS-Moda-/8292273805?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item1ee420e8d

Annie said...

I see lots of pretty prints on-line, but not in charm sizes. Like here
https://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php?page=CatalogPage&pageid=4676

Maybe some stitchers will be able to help you. If not, maybe you could embroider some simple designs on plainer fabric. Just a thought. It's really a cute piece!

Cathy said...

Gina, I was going to make a Canning Jar Quilt once and had lots of fruit and veggie cotton prints in sizes roughly about 5x9 inches. I have radishes with greens; small red apples on white background; mixed veggies on red background (eggplant, peas, carrots, beets, onion, cabbage); pineapples on black background; yellow/brown apples on black; fall veggies on white (pumpkin, corn, apples, artichokes, gourds); and small mixed fruits on green (bananas apples, pears, grapes, more). I would be happy to send them to you - and any more I can dig up. Send me your address, sweetie, by private email! Hugs, Cathy

Gina E. said...

Thank you, dear friends - I have emailed Joanne and Cathy to accept their generous offers. Aren't bloggy friends great?!