"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Embroiderers Guild Annual Exhibition.

The first Tuesday of each month is when I spend the day at the Embroiderers' Guild of Vic. As a volunteer Gallery Hostess, my role is to be present in the exhibition gallery to welcome any visitors that might pop in. I also wash the teacups used by the other volunteers present, make sure there is enough milk and supplies, loo paper, etc. A different volunteer does this every day, so usually there isn't a lot to do, and we bring some stitching with us and spend much of our time doing that. But yesterday, the exhibition committee ladies were gearing up for our annual Exhibition. There are I believe, over 60 exhibits supplied by Guild members - framed pictures, quilts, and so on. I helped out by ironing whatever needed to be pressed, and sorting out huge bags of fabrics that had been donated to the Guild. What fun! The ladies who were in and out of the gallery on their various errands would stop by and check out what I had carefully folded up in piles to be put in the remnant drawer. There was a large pile of scraps on the floor destined for the rubbish bin, and people were diving into that as well. Being the person sorting it all out, I had the first pick of the fabrics though, and came home with a nice bag of goodies to add to my stash!
If you are in or around Melbourne this month, try to make time to visit the Guild Exhibition - it will be well worth while, as this year being their 50th anniversary, they are putting on a superb display. We are also having a raffle to raise funds, and the prizes are fabulous as always!
EGV Annual Exhibition, 11 - 26th September. 10 am to 4 pm each day.
Entry $6 (no concession). Enquiries (03)9509 2222.
Embroidery House, 170 Wattletree Road, Malvern. (Melway 59 C9)

1 comment:

Shane Pollard said...

Hi Gina
Ooh that sounds fantastic - sadly I won't be in Melbourne!
I'm sure you'll have a very successful exhibition.
Lucky you having first dibs at the donated fabric - how exciting.
I'm going to my first meeting of our local Embroiderers Guild tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it goes!
Shane