"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Thursday, June 10, 2010

This week's stitching.

Today I visited my Japanese friend and showed her all the Japanese themed goodies I've accumulated over the past month - patchwork fabrics, ornaments, and my first attempts at Sashiko embroidery (for those who don't know, that is a form of traditional Japanese embroidery). She admired everything, and approved of my Sashiko work, saying my stitches were nice and even, as they should be in this style of work. High praise from a native Japanese lady!
This biscornu was on my UFO list. It was meant to be a Christmas gift last year, and I had intended to give it to S. for Christmas this year, but I've changed my mind about that. I have only made two biscornus before this one, and it was a while ago. I'd forgotten how to finish them off properly, so this one is not finished off well enough to present to a good friend as a gift. (That doesn't mean she won't get it at all - just not for Christmas!)
We went to the Zoo this week and finally got to see Mali, the four month old elephant. It inspired me to come home and do this applique on an old windcheater that I was going to throw out because the printed logo has no meaning for me now. Unfortunately a small part of the logo is still visible, but as I have yet to do the blanket stitch around the motifs, I'll just embroider a flower or something extra to hide it. Not sure about that pink ear. Ken said "What's the white thing in the middle?" I said "It's not white, it's pink, and it is her ear". He said "Oh..." doubtfully, and I tend to agree with him. Oh well, after I've done the blanket stitching around it, if it still looks odd, I might use some fabric paint on it. Helpful advice, anyone?

3 comments:

Jane said...

It could just be the angle, just turn it slightly so the straight edge is more towards the vertical, it should look a lot better. The shashiko is stunning on the black

artymess said...

why dont you put black spots on the ear and I agree with Miss 376 it may just be the angle .....yes the stitching work is FAB.......xx

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Hi Gina!
The shashiko work is so beautiful. I've never come across something like that in my hunts. It's very cool! I like your little elephant as is. It's cute and artistic.
Patricia :o)