"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Three fabric postcards.

Cindy in the USA sent me this gorgeous postcard for the Stitchin Fingers birthday swap. She apologised for it being so late, but I didn't mind waiting! She does lovely work, and I knew it would be worth waiting for. I had fun with these Sunbonnet Sue postcards, which are for a swap on Stitchin Fingers. I found a pattern in a book that was exactly the right size for postcards, so I traced it on to template plastic, as I think I'll be using it again - a lot! The first postcard I made was the purple hat Sue. I appliqued the pieces onto plain blue fabric, and added a strip of green fabric for the grass, then added the ric rac and the flowers to jazz it up a bit. The embroidered sun in the corner was a last minute addition.
The next card was a bit different. I've been seeing so many people use paint and pencils etc. on fabrics before they stitch on them, so I thought I'd have a play around with that. I used all kinds of mediums (pencils, felt pens, etc.) to paint the blue sky, the green grass and the orange/yellow sun. Bit of a mish mash really, so I muted it by using a wet paint brush to merge everything. Sue was appliqued on as before, but I changed her a bit, making the gingham apron slightly different, and moving the arm to extend out. That made it look like she was holding something, so I had to add the flower to finish her off. It still looked unfinished to me, so I did random long stitches in green DCM to fill in the grass, then finished off the sun with gold rayon thread.

5 comments:

Jane said...

They are all lovely, the ones you've made and the one received. Looks like you have fun with your pens and pencils

Sharon said...

Looking good G... You have taken to these little lasses like a duck to water....

Joy V said...

Very clever girl Gina! Isn't it great to try something that you haven't done before and it turns out beautifully!

CC said...

Hi Gina..
I'm so happy you came to visit me and left the comment. I had to hurry and come see the Sunbonnet Sue postcards...they're simply adorable and I love,love,love.loooovvvvveeee them. Oh,how talented you are..I've been looking through your wonderful site and have become a follower. We have much in common and I've so enjoyed looking at all your pretty things. I have another place I share with 2 friends...http://suestreehouse.blogspot.com/
there are more Sunbonnet Sue patterns there. I'll be back soon to visit again...

Sherri said...

Gina, your Sunbonnet Sue postcards are simply adorable! I can't decide if I like the one with the rick rack or the one with the painted grass and sky the best. You come up with some really cool things when you start playing around!