"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Reply to Crinolinerose - hope she sees this!

Crinolinerose posted a comment regarding a doiley that I wrote about on March 3, 2008: I loved the embroidery of the cat lying on the couch. It really reminds me of my cat. I was wondering if you could tell me what stitches you used for the cat, and how you did the eyes, they look just perfect. I would really like to embroider the design, could you tell me where you bought the pattern. Many thanks Crinolinerose doesn't have a blog, and didn't provide an email address, so I'll post my reply here and hope she sees it! This is the doiley she asked about. I stitched the cat mostly in outline (stem) stitch, and used straight stitch for the shorter lines of fur. The eyes are done in satin stitch. I didn't buy this. A friend got it from a resident in a nursing home who was giving away her unfinished linens because she couldn't stitch any more. Knowing how much I love cats, my friend passed it on to me. The edge was already crocheted, and the design was printed on. I chose the colours because there was no chart to follow.

2 comments:

crinolinerose said...

Hi Gina,
Thank you for replying to my question. I hope you don't mind, but I would like to ask you another one. What colour did you use for the eyes, you obviously have an instinct for colours, because the eyes really look realistic. I am using your beautiful doiley as my screen saver, every time I look at the cat I would swear that it is looking right at me. Also how many strands of thread did you use.
my email address is annpkean@yahoo.com.au
Many thanks for your help. You are truly an inspiration, all your work is truly wonderful.

Cindy said...

I love this piece. You did a wonderful job.