"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Friday, July 01, 2005

Lessons in advanced computing.

Today, I spent the afternoon with S. (The Blank Page). A short time ago, she tried to teach me the finer points of blogging, i.e. adding links etc., but my brain simply shut down at the mention of HTML - all those odd signs and words! A few months ago, Linda (Chloe's Place) had also had a go at showing me but I wasn't ready for it. However, today it was cold and wet outside, a good day to stay indoors and learn something useful. S. had printed a copy of her blog's template, and she was able to show me what it all meant in relation to what actually appears on the screen. Bit by bit, it started to make sense, and finally, I was able to write some 'plain English' instructions for myself that I would be able to follow once I got home. So here I am at nearly 1 am - eyes propped open with matchsticks, but very pleased with myself, and grateful to S. for her patience. I have successfully added my favourite blogs to the list on the right here, and also have made links where I have used other Bloggers, so people reading my posts can click on names to go straight to another blog. A BIG THANK YOU! to S. - I owe you a cuppa for this! I should mention here that Linda did a lot for my blog when she was here, apart from showing me HTML stuff. She set me up with the Stats Counter and I am very grateful to her too - it has some fascinating information available, including links to the websites where people came from to find me! Quite amazing to see what kind of people are watching me...bit spooky sometimes! But I also found some really neat blogs including the last two on my new list - for Cat Lovers Only, I should warn you!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

WOW!!!!!! YOU DID IT!!!!! I am proud of you... It takes a bit of courage to 'play' in the template... If I had gone to the further reaches of outer space I couldn't have been as lost... It is like having a map in a foreign country and not even sure if you are looking at it right side up...
It is just one of those things you have to fiddle with and learn as you go...Good on you!!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!

Finding My Way said...

Hi Gina,
Way too go! Cold and Wet? hmmm haven't checked the weather today but as of yesterday, it was the 8th or 9 th day in a row for temperatures about 90 degrees. I love the heat but hate the humidity. My poor tree's have fall colors and the grass is just a dusty brown. Today's goal is to water the tree. Also; thank you so much for linking my blog. That was so sweet. Not sure if you celebrate the 4th of July, we do. So hope you have a happy and safe weekend. Patty

Maggie Ann said...

How exciting to learn how to do things with HTML ...oh I am a little jealous. I think of trying and chicken out. Good for you Gina!